Sunday, June 17, 2018

What Makes a Dad?


Today on what in America we celebrate as Father's Day it is the perfect day to think about what we all consider makes a Dad. Is it someone who actually IS the person who created the child? If so there are a lot of dads out there who are sure leaving their children alone. No, that is not what makes a Dad in my book. In my book it is what is in the heart and soul that makes a dad. It could be a man or even a women for that matter. It is the thoughts and actions that make a Dad. 

Zoe ( my 6 year old granddaughter) and I were talking about Dads this week with Father's Day around the corner and her Father out of the picture for good. She lives with us along with her mom. She wanted to know if it was "allowed", her words to me, to celebrate Father's Day with her Grandpa. 
This is what got me thinking about What makes a Dad. My husband is wonderful father to my two daughters and both are now married, each with one daughter.  Alex I have to say is a great Dad to Darla Rae...Kassy SCORED in that Department!!  

Having my oldest daughter Keelee live with us and Zoe too makes us so much closer and gives him a chance to be both a Grandpa and a father figure to Zoe.

Both of my granddaughters think the sun shines and sets with their grandpa and rightly so. He knows how to make them laugh and loves them both beyond the moon and back. Even though one lives with him, BOTH are loved with the same amount of joy and no one would know from looking at them when you see them together. They are loved beyond measure. 

I want to thank my love for being such an amazing father and grandpa to our girls and granddaughters. He stepped in when many men would have said they already raised their kids and were ready for the "after time". Not you... You took on a second job to help make things work. Boy I was so lucky to meet Dolly at Sanger Harris back in 1983 and go on that blind date with you. Who would have thought back then it would lead to almost 30 years of marriage and these beautiful girls. I  never doubted our love was meant to be in spite of those who speak against us. Thank you for always being in my corner even if it quitely. As it is your nature. You will always stand by me and our girls...even if others do not agree with us our the way our lives are lived. You will always let them know they are loved, believed in and most of all respected. And if people can not follow that for your girls, well maybe then they are not supposed to be part of our family unit. You my love have helped us see what we need to be as a family to be happy, healthy and most of all whole. You have made our family perfect imperfect whole. You are a wonderful Father, husband and Grandfather.  I love You!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment