Thursday, August 30, 2018

His Scot's Montana Bride is Heart Warming and A Belly Warming Recipe As Well

While reading Jessica Gilmore's The Scot's Montana Bride I kept going back in my memories to recipes handed down by my Grandmother who is part Scottish. I dug around in her recipe files, found one and adjusted it to fit my eating methods. I am going to include it at the bottom so be sure to read all the way to the end.

First off what grabbed me was this beautiful cover on this book. I have to say that Tule Publishing Group has some of the best covers out there.
This book did remind me of listening to my Grandmother tell me of her Grandparents and Author Jessica Gilmore brings out the character of Jamie McKendrick so alive and well. The Valentine Family had me looking inward towards my own large family and thinking about how we relate towards each other. Kat's Aunt Louisa and her baking and her late Uncle Steve who helped her plan her trip. 
I hope you will take a moment to read just how much I enjoyed this book and if you peek at the bottom you will see the recipe I adapted for   Breakfast Muffins. Perfect for the Ranch ;) and any time of the day.


The Scot's Montana Bride (The Scots Take Montana #1)The Scot's Montana Bride by Jessica Gilmore
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh I picked up this book and could not stop until the end. Maybe my Scottish roots were calling to the Scotsman inside. I am not sure... but I can tell you one thing there is just something about a hunk in a kilt ya know.
In this book we get to know the Valentine family up close and personal right well. Kat comes home from walking about all over Europe and abroad because of her sick Grandpa. Where is HOME you ask? Its a little bit outside of Marietta, Montana in Mountain View. She is taking care of the family the and ranch (dude ranch) and up comes her ...surprise HUSBAND. Oh yes she forgot to mention to her family that she up and got married while she was walking and working her way across the continent. And oh what a fine Husband Jamie McKendrick is. Not only in looks but in character. This book is well written and for me it shows so much about family and heart. This book lays the foundation for upcoming books about this family, which I will happily grab and read the moment they hit my kindle. There where so many little things in this book that had me reaching into my childhood for memories from my grandma for her Scottish recipes to sayings. I recommend this read. It's not to long and prefect for relaxing this holiday weekend in the States.

View all my reviews


                             Grain Free Morning Glory Muffins... Good for All Day Long.


  • ½ cup organic coconut flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda or if corn sensitive sub cream of tartar
  • ¼ teaspoon sea salt
  • 4 large eggs
  • ¼ cup plain coconut milk yogurt (or ¼ cup coconut milk, plus ½ tsp apple cider vinegar)
  • 3 tablespoons organic honey
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (see note on how to make corn free)
  • ½ cup diced fresh pineapple
  • 1/3 cup grated carrot
  • ¼ cup grated apple
  • 1 chopped apple (if you do not use the shredded coconut add this)
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut (or can leave out)
  • ½ teaspoon cardamom
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon (more if you like it spicy)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pie spice
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 8 parchment muffin liners  into a 12-cup muffin tin; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the coconut flour, baking soda/cream of tartar if you are going corn free, and salt. Add in the spices.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, honey, coconut oil, and vanilla until well combined.
4. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet, and whisk well to thoroughly combine, until no lumps remain and batter begins to thicken.
5. Gently fold in the diced pineapple, grated carrot, and apple, and 1 tablespoon of the shredded coconut (Or you do not have to add the coconut at all). Evenly distribute the batter among the 8 lined muffin cups. Then sprinkle tops with the remaining shredded coconut.
6. Bake for approximately 20–25 minutes, until tops and edges begin to turn a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5–10 minutes. Then serve and enjoy!
**Corn Free Homemade Vanilla Abstract**
I have corn allergies so I make my own vanilla abstract which is easy and actually tastes so much better.
Get a large glass container like from a craft story with a screw on lid. Make sure to wash and dry it before you start. You will need to purchase only 2 other items. Fresh Vanilla beans and Potato Vodka. I use Choplin Potato Vodka. It is certified gluten and corn free.
Pour the vodka into the bottle til about 1 inch from the top.
Take 2 vanilla beans and cut them down the middle long ways. Start to open up the bean pod so that you are getting the little seeds lose but not out because this is what makes this wonderful Vanilla flavor.
Place the beans and any lose vanilla seeds into the jar and put the top on tight. Shake it well. Place it into a dark cabinet for 6 weeks. 4 weeks in go get it out and get it a hard shake. Put it back. At 6 weeks open it up and get it a smell. Does it still have that vodka smell? If yes, close it up and put it back for another 2 weeks. My first Batch took 8 weeks to make the best Vanilla Abstract i have ever used. I have been using it for 1 year now. If you keep it in a cool dark place it has a long shelf life.

No comments:

Post a Comment